Saturday, July 5, 2008

SHERLOCK HOLMES FOR DUMMIES!

SHERLOCK HOLMES FOR DUMMIES!

Who thought this was a good idea! I’d reather stick a needle in my eye than buy a ticket to this pairing. Do people actually think these guys are funny – I don’t get it.

According to Variety, a Sherlock Holmes comedy starring Sacha Baron Cohen and Will Ferrell is set up at Columbia Pictures with Etan Cohen (Tropic Thunder) scripting for producers Judd Apatow and Jimmy Miller.

The Apatow-produced Holmes pic will feature Cohen as Arthur Conan Doyle's famous London gumshoe and Will Ferrell as his trusty partner Watson, reuniting the two Talladega Nights co-stars.

This project should in no way be confused with Warner Brothers' more action-oriented Sherlock Holmes feature, which is expected to be directed by Guy Ritchie from a script by Anthony Peckham (now there’s a take on Holmes I can’t wait to see)..

Well over a dozen actors who have played the Holmes character on the big and small screen, a group that includes Peter Cushing, Rupert Everett, Ronald Howard, Jeremy Brett, Christopher Lee, Robert Stephens and, perhaps most iconically, Basil Rathbone.

Cohen will next be seen in next summer's Bruno.

Ferrell has Step Brothers coming out later this summer and recently completed production on Land of the Lost.

1 comment:

Tanner said...

I'm excited for ANY new Sherlock Holmes movies! Obviously, I'm MORE excited for the Guy Ritchie version (really, it's been way too long since we've had a straight version of Holmes on the big screen!), but I'm open to the Cohen one too. There have been some good Holmes comedies before, like The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother and my favorite, Without A Clue. So I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt, no matter how weird it sounds... I just hope it doesn't step on the legitimate version that Ritchie's doing.