Thursday, January 8, 2009

FORGOTTEN BOOKS: BURY THE PAST BY RICHARD REINSMITH!

FORGOTTEN BOOKS: BURY THE PAST BY RICHARD REINSMITH!

Meet Ray Martin – Bodyguard! He’s fast with his fists and handy with a gun. As for women, he can take them or leave them – and usually does both!

Okay, you can tell from the above cover blurb from Bury The Past, the first of ten novels in The Bodyguard series, this is not going to be an intellectually engaging series. Still, like the Operation Hang-Ten books I reviewed a few weeks back, The Bodyguard series is so cheesy, so solidly ‘80s pulp, I can’t banish it from my shelves.

Ray Martin is a professional bodyguard. Author Richard Reinsmith, is really not concerned with telling us more. How Martin became a bodyguard, how he operates, why is he so good, or any other information apparently isn’t important when you’re hacking out a story to meet deadline.

The first three books in the series were published under the Belmont Towers imprint before moving ‘up’ to the Leisure Books imprint. As most of us know, these two publishing houses most often published dreck that couldn’t find a home elsewhere, or published the first efforts of authors trying to break into the field. Sometimes, however, they published some solid rough diamonds. For me, The Bodyguard series is an example of one of those flawed gems.

She hired him as a bodyguard – but the lady wanted to die! Estelle Curtis wasn’t hard to take. She was beautiful, wealthy – and someone was trying to kill her. When she hired Martin, she told him she hoped they’d succeed. Martin had his work cut out for him. How do you protect someone who doesn’t care if she lives or dies? But Martin cared a lot, because the would-be killer had trained his sights on him as well, and now Martin had two bodies to guard – his client’s and his own!

Let’s be clear, there is nothing brilliant here, but if you stumble across a Bodyguard title in a used bookstore and are in the mood for a little retro nonsense, drop a buck and live it up.







3 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I love those 80's covers!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Me. too. I'm gonna look for them.

Scott Parker said...

Tell you what I like: the total lack of backstory. Who cares? That is probably my #1 roadblock when I write: I have to know exactly how a character got into a circumstance. And, if the backstory isn't plausible, I don't write. It's an irritating flaw in my writing process that I aim to expunge this year.

Reinsmith's books are now added to The List.