Friday, January 23, 2009

MY FAVORITE SPY MOVIES!

MY FAVORITE SPY MOVIES!

TANNER OVER AT THE DOUBLE O SECTION BLOG HAS AN EXTENSIVE REVIEW OF CERTAINLY ONE OF MY FAVORITE NON-BOND SPY FILMS, DEADLIER THAN THE MALE ~

Deadlier Than the Male, a Bond-age update of Bulldog Drummond (its title inspired by the Drummond novel The Female of the Species), is my very favorite non-Bond spy movie. (And, as should be evidenced by this blog, I love spy movies!) It’s the best Bond knock-off ever, better than all its Eurospy ilk (enjoyable as they may be), and better even than its more famous Hollywood counterparts like the Flint movies. Of all the imitators 007 spawned in the 1960s, Deadlier Than the Male is the only one that can really go toe-to-toe with Bond.

TO READ THE FULL REVIEW CLICK HERE

3 comments:

Lee Goldberg said...

I've ordered the double-feature DVD with DEADLIER THAN THE MALE/SOME GIRLS DO (love the theme song). I enjoyed DEADLIER but I've never seen SOME GIRLS DO.

I watched THE LIQUIDATOR (another Kick-ass spy theme song) last night for the first time and really enjoyed it. Have you ever seen it?

Lee

Tanner said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Bish! I'll be interested to hear how you like Some Girls Do, Lee. It's nowhere near as good as DTM, but it's still fun. And the theme song is great! I have a 45 of it with a B-side called "Dark In the City" from the same artist (his name escapes me) that's pretty cool too; I don't think either has ever been issued on CD.

I enjoy The Liquidator, and wish it would come out on DVD! But it's not a great representation of John Gardner's book series...

Lee Goldberg said...

I have scoured the Internet for a "clean" copy of the theme song for SOME GIRLS DO...but apparently, it doesn't exist. (The theme in the movie is broken up by some dialog scenes). I think that theme song is much better than DEADLIER THAN THE MALE.