Sunday, February 22, 2009

PATRICIA BARBER ~ NIGHTCLUB!

PATRICIA BARBER ~ NIGHTCLUB!

HERE’S ANOTHER COOL JAZZ CD VIA KELLY’S LOUNGE GIVING PLAY TO A LITTLE KNOWN SINGER WITH A GREAT VOICE . . .

PER KELLY:


If you download this one and have a listen you may be hooked. Then again you may not. I was introduced to this nightclub singer by a friend about 8 years ago. I think it was "Cool Mood" she played to me. I was impressed and went out to see what our local CD store had to offer. This was the only one available off the shelf so I bought it. Whereas "Mood" presented us with a kind of hip album of originals, on this album she draws us into her impressionistic reading of 12 standards. "Bye Bye Blackbird" is a gem. Comparisons have been made between Miss Barber and Diana Krall, but in my book they're worlds apart. I enjoy Krall especially on DVD (I have her "Live In Paris"). The presence of John Clayton (bass) and Jeff Hamilton (drums) helped and also the fact that my fellow countryman, Alan Broadbent, was music director/conductor for the session. Oh yes ... Claus Ogerman too!


But back to our current share. Barber's style has been described as dark, smokey, sultry and cool. This is not concert jazz a la Krall. It has been nurtured and refined in the nightclub (Chicago's Gold Star Sardine Bar & The Green Mill to name just two). About 2am. The crowd has thinned. Those left are mellowed by a few martinis. The singer senses that she's in the presence of kindred souls so sings and plays her heart out. That's what this album is all about.

Tracks:


01) Bye Bye Blackbird
02 Invitation
03) Yesterdays
04) Just For A Thrill
05) You Don't Know Me
06) Alfie
07) Autumn Leaves
08) Summer Samba
09) All Or Nothing At All
10) So In Love
11) A Man & A Woman
12) I Fall In Love Too Easily

TO DOWNLOAD CLICK HERE

1 comment:

Kerrie said...

Please pop over to my blog to see an award I have given you.
http://paradise-mysteries.blogspot.com/2009/02/your-blog-is-fabulous-award.html