Thursday, September 24, 2009

FORGOTTEN BOOKS: THE FINGER IN THE SKY AFFAIR!

FORGOTTEN BOOKS: THE FINGER IN THE SKY AFFAIR!

In honor of this weeks 45th anniversary of The Man From U.N.C.L.E., I offer up The Finger In The Sky Affair by Peter Leslie. This was the 23rd, and last, Man From U.N.C.L.E. tie-in novel. Yes, I know there are the fan circulated copies of David McDaniels’ The Final Affair, but The Finger In The Sky Affair is the last officially published U.N.C.L.E. tale from Ace.

Author Peter Leslie had done several other U.N.C.L.E. tie-in novels, along with Harry Whittington, another name from the annuls of pulpdom, but his stories never rose to the level of those by fan favorite David McDaniels.

MYSTERY IN THE SKIES

Illya and Napoleon uncover a fantastic THRUSH plan to rule the world’s air lanes.

Five major air crashes in two months – the cause of all of them a complete mystery. In each case the plane’s instruments were working perfectly, the crew was in command and ground control contact. The plane would suddenly nosedive into the runway as it came in to land, killing most of the passengers. Those who weren’t killed outright died mysterious deaths shortly after.

Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin hurried to Nice to follow a trail that led unavoidably to THRUSH – and to a monstrous master-plan that was moving steadily toward the point of no return . . .

As the last book of the Ace U.N.C.L.E. tie-ins, The Finger In The Sky Affair is also the most rare. Not impossible to find, but still elusive in good condition.

The U.N.C.L.E. tie-ins along with full runs of the digest sized The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Magazine and The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. Magazine, a full run of the Dell U.N.C.L.E. tie-in comics, and various other U.N.C.L.E. publications still hold a sweet spot in my library and in my heart. They contain all the imagination of a ten year old boy, who sat down 45 years ago this week, and was mesmerized.

3 comments:

Win Scott Eckert said...

"U.N.C.L.E. publications still hold a sweet spot in my library and in my heart."

You and me both, Bish. I've got full run of the novels, comics and various children' books, and most of the digests. As well as the complete DVDs. I love me some U.N.C.L.E.

Thanks for posting this. :-)

pattinase (abbott) said...

I wonder what the first books written about TV series were.

Randy Johnson said...

I've got all the Ace Books , the digest magazines(Man and Girl), the Big Little book, the two hardcover "juveniles," and
both American and English Girl series. Not to mention the complete DVD set.
Like you, I love me some U.N.C.L.E. I'm just a few years older than you and they still rank among my favorites.