Friday, October 30, 2009

IT TAKES A THIEF ON DVD!

IT TAKES A THIEF ON DVD!

I remember It Takes A Thief, the 1968 to 1970 television show starring Robert Wagner (doing a serviceable Cary Grant impersonation), fondly. In fact, my love for caper films can probably be traced back to this show from my childhood and my father’s descriptions of the films Topcapi and To Catch A Thief, which I only actually saw much later.

Now, TV Shows On DVD has heard rumor It Takes A Thief will be out on DVD in 2010. It’s about time. I recently watch several episodes of the series on Hulu, and they hold up pretty well.

In the series, Alexander Mundy (Wagner) is a playboy and cat burglar released from prison to steal for the United States government. His boss was Noah Bain (Malachi Throne) was the typical crusty individual, but was excellently portrayed by character actor Malachi Throne (which I’ve always thought would make a create name for a fictional character.

In an attempt to shore up ratings for the final season, Fred Astaire was brought in to star as Mundy’s father – another master thief.

Amusingly tongue-in-cheek, It Takes A Thief is the perfect example of the lightweight entertainment of its time. Give me Thief over Lost any day.

2 comments:

Brian Sheridan said...

TOTAL Agreement!!! I hope this DVD rumor turns out to be true. Would it be too much to hope for a Blu Ray version??? :)

Jason Whiton said...

I hope it's real, and I hope it's Blu!

-jason (Spy Vibe)