Wednesday, December 16, 2009

NOIR SONGS!

NOIR SONGS!

PETER ROZOVSKY’S DETECTIVES BEYOND BORDERS BLOG IS COVERING SOME FAIRLY ESOTERIC NOIR MUSIC. IT’S KINDA COOL AND WORTH CHECKING OUT . . .


Last year I nominated "Ocultei," recorded by the Brazilian singer Elizeth Cardoso, for a place among the great noir songs ever. There's something about the last verse, which runs tremulously thus (tentatively translated from the Portuguese by your humble blogkeeper):

"And my most ardent desire
May God pardon me the sin!
Is that another woman by your side
Kill you in the hour of a kiss."

If you think that looks good on your screen, you should hear Elizeth sing it, her voice melting from dreamy resignation to trembling passion, jealousy and anger.

This week, I finally paid attention to my second-favorite song on the album, "Só Voce, Mais Nada," which I think means "Only You; Nothing Else."

TO READ THE FULL POST CLICK HERE

1 comment:

Peter Rozovsky said...

Much obliged, and cool illustrations!
================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/