Wednesday, December 30, 2009

SHERLOCK HOLMES ~ THE MOVIE!

SHERLOCK HOLMES ~ THE MOVIE!

SCOTT D. PARKER HAS A TERRIFIC AND PERCEPTIVE REVIEW OF SHERLOCK HOLMES’ THE LATEST FILM INCARNATION ON HIS BLOG . . .

Don’t blame Robert Downey, Jr., if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle forgot one of the ingredients from which he invented Sherlock Holmes. In Chapter 2 of “A Study in Scarlet,” the first Holmes novel and debut appearance by the great detective, Watson makes a list of Holmes’ attributes. Number eleven is this: “Is an expert singlestick player, boxer, and swordsman.” In the New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, Volume 3, resident Sherlockian Leslie Klinger notes that there is no instance of Holmes actually displaying his singlestick prowess. Since I haven’t read the entire canon (yet), I had to rely on The Source of All Truth (Wikipedia) to determine that the short story “The Solitary Cyclist” is an example of Holmes the Boxer. Neither Wikipedia nor Klinger’s footnotes indicate an adventure where Holmes uses a sword.

The point is this: The Sherlock Holmes as portrayed by Downey reconstitutes a part of the character Doyle originally intended to write about but seldom did. Since Holmes is one of the world’s first superheroes, it stands to reason that he’d get himself into some situations that require more brawn than brain. What the new film illustrates, however, is that Holmes deploys both in the solving of a crime.

I won’t lie: when I first learned that Downey was going to play Holmes, I was skeptical. I appreciate Downey for the great actor that he is but I didn’t think Holmes was the part for him. Up until Christmas Day, Jeremy Brett is, for my money, is the quintessential on-screen Holmes. Brett still is the quintessential Holmes if you take into account the stories Doyle wrote. However, what Downey captured--with the able assistance of director Guy Ritchie and Jude Law’s Watson--is nothing less that the heart and soul of the Sherlock Holmes character.

FOR THE FULL REVIEW CLICK HERE

3 comments:

C said...

I was also skeptical about Downey playing Holmes, but when I saw the film I thought he made an excellent Sherlock. He's certainly not Jeremy Brett, but it's doubtful whether any actor could match Brett's definitive style. The film's fast-paced and excting, a little more far-fetched and less plausible than the Conan Doyle stories but it still manages to stay true to Doyle's original creation. I very much look forward to the sequel.

C said...

PS - I've written my own review here:

http://dreamingarm.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/the-new-sherlock-holmes/#comment-399

hanum said...

I like this movie, really awesome, cool.