Thursday, August 26, 2010

FORGOTTEN BOOKS: UNDERCOVER RUN!

FORGOTTEN BOOKS: UNDERCOVER RUN!

LEW DYKES


Somewhere in my memory there’s a trace of the fact author Lew Dykes was also a police detective or officer. I have his books on my shelf along with novels by other police writers, so I’m pretty sure I can rely on the fact, however, I can’t remember what department he was with nor can I dig up anything through a cursory Internet search. Since his books are all set in South Carolina, I would assume he is writing from his experiences there, but we all know what happens when you assume . . .

In actuality, it doesn’t matter. In the late ‘80s, Dykes wrote three paperback original, police procedural thrillers of excellent quality – the best of the bunch being the second of the three, Undercover Run.

UNDERCOVER RUN

THE MOST DANGEROUS CRIMINAL OF ALL IS A COP . . . TURNED KILLER

UNDER
Andy Gates is the fall guy in a perfect frame-up. His cheating wife and her scheming lover leave him holding the bag for a $60,000 robbery. When the cell door slams shut, Gates goes over the edge . . .

COVER
But he’s no ordinary prisoner, he’s a former undercover detective – a dead shot who can also kill with his bare hands. His jailbreak leaves two men dead. And Gates is on the loose, a rogue ex-cop on a rampage . . .

RUN
Now, the detectives who were once his friends are hunting him down – even Lieutenant Rix Fort, his former mentor. Once, Lieutenant Ford trained Gates. Now, he must stop him – before he kills again . . . and again . . . and again . . .

Dykes does an outstanding job pulling off this intriguing, almost over the top premise. He accomplishes this by creating real cop characters, who act like normal cops would in abnormal situations – which cops face every day.

I’m sorry, Dykes’ career did extend beyond three titles. I have no doubt he fell victim to the curse of midlist writers everywhere. But, if you are in the mood for some realistic police action, it’s worth making the effort to track down Undercover Run or any of Dykes’ other titles.

NOVELS BY LEW DYKES

SAVANNAH SCORE
UNDERCOVER RUN
CHOKE HOLD

3 comments:

George said...

I have never seen these books before. Another search of the Internet beckons. Thanks for highlighting such interesting books!

bv said...

I hadn't heard of these books, either, so thanks for the heads-up. Out of curiosity, I checked the Internet, too, and couldn't find anything else about the author. You're probably right that he was signed to a 3-book contract and that was it, although whether it was due to not having the contact picked up, illness, or death, it's hard to know. Of course, this could also be a pen name...

Andrew Comrie said...

I had this book, it was a good read. Sadly I have misplaced it. It was an unusual format - the pages were edged in bright yellow.

It was a unit handpicked for undercover work - one woman, this guy, one cop that wanted to end it all after his marriage ended and another involved with biker gangs.

I often use a line from it about knowing your job - if you remember much about this book, you'll know the line I mean! lol

I really hope I find this book again!